Play Therapy is not what you think. It is not the same as regular, everyday play.
I love play therapy because it allows you to process stressful life events, thoughts, feelings and behaviors without the pressures of finding the “right” words.
PLAY THERAPY OBJECTIVES
- Works for people of all ages
- Hands on approach to counseling
- Processes emotions that are difficult to express in other ways
- Focuses on problem solving in the most creative ways
- Learn and explore social skills
- Develop independence and creative thinking
- Builds stronger relationships with family, friends and co-workers
Be prepared to experience a variety of specific play techniques like Sandtray Therapy, art, role-play, visual images, the use of metaphors, bibliotherapy and music to enhance your experience
RATIONAL EMOTIVE BEHAVIOR THERAPY (REBT)
REBT identifies negative thoughts and feelings. The focus will be to understand how your thoughts create hurt feelings which lead to unhealthy actions. Once you can identify a pattern of unhealthy thoughts/beliefs, you will be able to change and replace these thoughts with a better version.
The result will be a more successful life experience.
- Reduce negative symptoms that are associated with difficult emotions
- Focuses on the present issues not dwell on your past
- Targets beliefs as a fundamental course of treatment
- Identifies thought patterns that effect your ability to deal with problems
- Identifying connections between situations and emotional triggers and behavioral distress
- Learn problem solving skills
- Teaches the difference between rational and irrational beliefs
Be prepared for the tools of positive visualization, reframing your thinking, and homework between sessions. This is how people learn, and therapy is learning. Meeting with me one hour a week will not create change, so homework is essential.
COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY (CBT)
CBT is a form of psychotherapy that focuses on modifying difficult emotions, behaviors, and thoughts. This approach is “solutions-oriented” form of therapy which emphasizes that your thoughts drive your emotions which influence your behaviors.
- Appropriate for people of all ages
- Client and therapist use creativity in sessions
- Client is an active participant in therapy and responsible for outcomes
- Engaging and task focused
- Easily understood and learnable
- Uses a simple ABC model as the fundamental treatment philosophy
- Reduces symptoms of depression, anxiety disorders, panic attacks, sleep disorders and grief
Be prepared for challenging interactions through exercises and methods that are used in homework assignments in between therapy sessions.